Sunday, April 15, 2012

.1% and Proud.

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love body adornment. I think it decorates the body just as jewelry does, makeup, hair dye, or a spiffy haircut. Body modification also requires things like self-confidence, body acceptance, strength, courage - traits that I find very appealing in my partner.

In the end, it's not for everyone, but you shouldn't judge one person's concept of beauty against your own. Variety is the spice of life, and some of us like a bit more variety than the average person - that's what makes life enjoyable.” - Off a ‘Yahoo Answer’

So many people have a “super opinion” on what looks attractive on someone else. And though, yes I believe each person should have their own opinion, a lot of people try to force what they ‘think’ or ‘feel’ down other peoples’ throats. Even if they don’t mean to do it, it’s how it feels a lot of the time.

Just today, while hanging out with my mom and friend, the topic of peircings came up. I already know how they feel about them. I know which ones they dislike and favor. And still, I felt as if they were trying to force me to change my own choice about piercings.

Here is my thing. I don’t care if piercings make me unattractive. I like them. They make me feel good. I find them attractive. I enjoy them. Me. On my own body. If you don’t like them or find them attractive, it’s simple- DON’T GET ANY. I won’t force you to get one if you don’t want to or like them. But don’t throw disgust at me and tell me I need to change because my choices are different than yours.

You don’t walk up to a mother and her child and say “Your baby is ugly”. You don’t walk up to someone who has piercings and say “you’re ugly because you have more holes”. Have your opinion, but be able to accept other people’s choices and feelings. It’s what makes you an adult and more mature, in my eyes.

While getting any body modification, you do have to keep in mind that there will be people who treat you differently. Some people will look down on you for your choices. But, as I’d hope much thought and research has gone into the piercing, you prepare yourself to be able to accept the outcome.

I feel like I’m contradicting myself. How to put it simply? I am happy that everyone has their own opinion but please, be careful on how you wield it.

Here is an example of what I mean. My aunt and uncle are very religious people. VERY religious. I remember when my aunt saw that my sister had a tattoo, she treated my mom like the most horrible parent in the world because she’d let her daughter do that to her body. Of course, at that point, my mom lifted her pant leg a little and let shine the small ankle tattoo she also has.

I try to respect people and their religion. You believe what you want to believe, and I’ll believe what I want to believe. My aunt and uncle try to force their beliefs and way of life down my family’s throat. They are SO against any and body modifications. Even just a dab of ‘fun color’ in your hair. And they will sit there and try to force you to change what you feel. They will express how you’ll go to ‘hell’ or that you are someone who needs to be saved.

To me, that is not an appropriate way to wield your opinion. “I don’t like piercings”, “piercings are unattractive”, “it’s like a bullseye- it takes away from the beauty of your face”. I can take comments like those. Annoyed, I do get a little annoyed but, they are the opinion of others. “You need to take out that metal or else you’re going to hell”, “you do know no one finds those attractive”, “you’re never going to find someone who can be attracted to you”, “are you following a trend |smirk|”. Comments like those infuriate me. They are like the previous examples but they seem more forceful. I guess words have that much power.

I guess I just wanted to put that out there.

What did my mom say yesterday? “No one finds piercings attractive.” My response? “Yes, some people do find them attractive.” “99.9% don’t.”

Well, I guess I’m part of that .1% that finds attractive.

Have a great day everyone.

If you’re in the Bellingham area, the sun was out. :[

I miss the rain.

3 comments:

  1. I miss the rain too.
    I ordered pizza and the pizza guy asked me if I was enjoying the sun, I told him it was too hot for me...all I did was open the door and I wanted to die.
    I feel like I should add something that actually applies to your post so go you, be the bad ass I know you are and get pierced! Woooo!!!! Yeah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the pizza good?

    Haha, I'm not a bad ass. >:l

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was yummy! I got to put lots of toppings on it for $11! I had bacon, pepperoni, pineapple, sausage and beef. Amaazzinnng!!!

      More so than me! :)

      Delete